The speed obtained in free fall when the upward force of air resistance is equal to the downward force of gravity.
| || |
Balancing the force due to air resistance, FA and the downward force of gravity, Fg
- this gives
- this can then be rearranged to give the terminal speed, v
- F = aerodynamic drag force [N]
- Cd = drag coefficient
- A = frontal area [m2]
- ρ = density of fluid [kgm-3]
- v = velocity of object relative to fluid [ms-1]
- m = mass of object [kg]
- g = standard acceleration due to gravity [ms-2]
See also: Acceleration, Buoyant Force, Drag Coefficient, Standard Acceleration due to Gravity, Velocity.