A gripping tool with two hinged arms and serrated jaws. The pliers shown on the left are general purpose pliers with serrated jaws for gripping, side cutters closer to the hinge point and on either side of the hinge cutters for heavier gauge wire cutting. Pliers are also available in many other shapes and sizes to suit different jobs.
- Bent-Nose Pliers
- Pliers with bent jaws.
- Circlip Pliers
- Pliers with a round bar at the end of each jaw that fit in the holes of a circlip so that it may be sprung open to fit or remove from the workpiece.
- Flat-Nose Pliers
- Pliers with flat jaws.
- Locking Pliers
- A type of pliers with locking jaws that can be used as pliers, wrench, clamp, or small vice. Closing the handles locks the jaws into position, the jaws are released by pulling a special release lever. They are also known as Mole Grips.
- Long-nose Pliers
- Pliers with half round and tapered jaws, often with a wire cutter and used for electrical work. Also called snipe-nose pliers or needle-nose pliers.
- Round-Nose Pliers
- Pliers with a round nose.
- Snipe-Nose Pliers
- Wire Stripping Pliers
- Pliers with V-shaped cutting jaws and a screw to adjust minimum jaw closing to match wire size.
See also: Side Cutters.
Subjects: Mechanical Engineering Tools
- Draper.co.uk Quality Tools Since 1919
- Tools and Tool Reviews - glue-it.com Details on tools, reviews and links to interesting resources.