Failure Mode and Effects Analysis
A procedure by which each potential failure mode of a system is analyzed to determine the effects on the system and classify each potential failure mode according to its severity.
This is a systematic method of risk assessment for identifying and preventing product & process problems before they occur. Identify ways the product or process can fail and eliminate or reduce the risk of failure in order to protect the customer.
Always done as a team exercise.
- Select Team - define roles scope product/process.
- Identify Functions and Failure Modes.
- Define Failure Effects, Severity & critical actions.
- Define Causes, Occurrence & critical Actions.
- Define preventative & detective Controls & Actions to reduce the Risk Priority Number.
Subjects: Systems Engineering