Engine Radiated Noise
- Some empirical noise prediction models have been derived from a sample of 1m radiated engine noise measurements.
- Normally aspirated direct injection diesel
- Turbocharged direct injection diesel
- Indirect injection diesel
- Petrol engines (lean burn)
- Petrol engine formula updated for 1990′s
- The updated formula for petrol engine radiated noise shows that the noise increases by 40dB/decade for the stroke compared to 30dB/decade for the bore. Crankshaft stiffness has an effect on radiated noise and is included as a first approximation with the bore and stroke as these have a direct effect on the design of the crankshaft.