The capability of different electrical systems to coexist in the electromagnetic environment without causing or being subjected to interference.
This is all about currents.
- Low frequency return currents take path of least resistance.
- High frequency return currents take path of least inductance.
Normally referred to by it′s abbreviation: EMC.
Some of the simplest rules are:
- Minimize the loop areas associated with high-frequency power and signal currents.
- Don′t split, gap or cut the signal return plane - it is best to use one solid plane for returning all signal currents.
- Don′t locate high-speed circuitry between connectors.
- Control signal transition times.
- A low inductance ground system is the most important element in designing a PCB for EMC.
The application of general criteria and pessimistic thresholds to eliminate the majority of interference possibilities from further consideration in an EMC analysis.
- Learn EMC A great EMC tutorial site with examples, guidelines, hints and tips.