- Resistance of a vehicle body to motion through the air. A smooth surface has less drag than a rough one.
- It may be broken down into three main components:
- skin friction: this is drag due to the surface texture and area.
- profile drag: this is drag from the three-dimensional shape of the aircraft/vehicle.
- service drag: this is drag from air ducted to cooling components.
- The bottom half of a horizontally parted mould.
See also: Aerodynamic Force, Boattail, Drag Coefficient, Lift Coefficient, Rolling Resistance, Streamlined, Vehicle Aerodynamic Drag.
Subjects: Aerodynamics Fluid Dynamics