A material brought about by combining materials differing in composition or form on a macroscale for the purpose of obtaining specific characteristics and properties. The constituents retain their identity such that they can be physically identified and they exhibit an interface between one another.
Composites are classified according to their matrix phase:
- Polymer Matrix Composites (PMC)
- Ceramic Matrix Composites (CMC)
- Metal Matrix Composites (MMC)
Composite materials are often called "advanced" if they combine the properties of high strength and high stiffness, low weight, corrosion resistance, and in some cases special electrical properties.
- Scaled Composites An aerospace and specialty composites development company located in Mojave, California.
- Advanced Composites Group A leading manufacturer of advanced composite carbon and glass fibre (CFRP and GFRP) reinforced plastic pre-impregnated materials (prepregs) custom formulated for component, structural and tooling applications in a diverse range of industries.