- An abbreviation of binary digit, the smallest unit of binary data.
- A single character of a language employing only two distinct kinds of characters.
- A quantity of intelligence which is carried by an identifiable entity and which can exist in either of two states.
- A unit of storage capacity; the capacity in bits of a storage device is the logarithm to the base two of the number of possible states of the device.
- A quantum of information.
- Loosely, a mark.
See also: Baud Rate, Big Endian, Bitrate, bits per second, Bitstream, Byte, Byte Aligned, Crumb, Least Significant Bit (LSB), Little Endian, Most Significant Bit (MSB), Nibble, Parity Bit, Resolution, Word, Wyde.