- The method of steering the main lobe of a transducer to a certain direction. Three typical means of beam steering include:
- Placement of a reflector (e.g., a cone or parabola) behind an acoustic source.
- Phasing of narrowband signals emitted or received by an array of transducers or transducer elements.
- Shifting replicas of signals emitted or received by individual elements in such a way as to maximize the acoustic response in some direction.
- Can also refer to processing of data from the elements of an array to reject information from a particular direction.